Monday, June 27, 2011

War on Mission Runners

In the ongoing PTS campaign War on Mission Runners I haven't seen much action lately. My probing ships sitting scattered and unused in stations with complicated sanitary conditions where my usual ship hangars were first transformed into an ugly dude with a moustache (and it wasn't Saftsuze!) then later into a scary door that never opens. The longer I look at it the more I'm scared of what's behind!

Tracking disruptors don't kill people, guns kill people!
Anyway. All weekend I was busy losing expensive ships: My first faction fit Slicer, my experimental Jaguar and worst of all a bunch of my beloved Rifters. That left me with only my Firetail which is a gift from Doctor Genocide who gave it to me for no reason! Also I secretly suspect he's no Doctor at all cause he tends to kill people and cats rather than ... ehm ... doing academic stuff ... like reading the newspaper and ... ahm ... wearing glasses. So that Firetail was all I had left - I down fitted it somewhat to make for a less embarrassing lossmail and I set sail for unknown shores.

After some poking here and some fine spelunking there I found two Dramiels in Gulmorogod, one of them piloted by the known conscientious objector Angel Rodriguez. I know these guys are supposed to be fragile so I set course to a planet to scare him straight. We met there and yada yada yada, I warped out in hull and barely alive.

The second Dramiel was still in a mission. Angel and one of his corp mates were trying to talk him into a 1v1, but he wouldn't. Also there were a lot of sisters on scan. I decided to give it a try myself, and I docked and changed into a probing ship littering the system with another five Sister's probes. The target in the mission was very nervous now, warping between safe spots I couldn't get 100% lock on him. But eventually the other pirates left the system and he returned to his mission. After maybe 20 minutes of waiting and probing (Angel and other people passing by made him leave the mission every time!) I had him. I changed back into my Firetail of ... Utter Destruction warped through a few gates ... and found myself 40 kilometers from him. D'oh! But fortunately he engaged!

Now why am I telling you all this? Well, I read this excellent blog post the other day. And while it's true that belt PVP is the foundation of my low sec activities I think that hunting mission runners is what puts piracy into ... hmm ... whatpiracyisallabout. Belt PVP is mostly consensual, I mean, come on, who except for a few rookies rats or mines in low sec? Nobody, that's who!

Probing missions is much less frequent and since probes are in the overview by default (thanks for nothing CCP!)  it is much harder to do. I love the preparation and the suspense and all those stupid assumptions I'm making while moving my probes. And when I get one, it's so much more rewarding!

GF everybody!

4 comments:

  1. You fit your first faction fit Slicer and I was not there to witness it? Darn you summer hiatus and pool waddling, damn you!

    Now let's see that killmail.
    I'm so excited!
    Read read ...
    Calculate ...
    Wait, that's not the Gistii MWD I had!
    ERROR.

    Oh no you didn't.
    OH NOOO you DIDN'T!!
    How ...?
    How could you!?
    The Slicer was nothing but generous to you, flying gently, killing from afar. I moan when I read this! The tears, oh the tears! I'm sending a mail to Oprah!

    How can you do that, fitting an Afterburner to it without any buffer and riding it into certain DOOM(tm)?
    In case the Pator Tech School Slicer's manual lacks that information, it does NOT have an invisible stasis webifier integrated, and is not to be flown like an Arti Rifter(tm)!

    This is no mood for joining you in the Overheated Hot Tub, I need a pool now, to cool now.

    (After a while ... and using some boosters)

    And we're back, at a level mood.

    The Dramiel kill is nice, as always. I bet the ship itself was relieved when being killed since now it doesn't have to wear that PvE fit anymore. Such a beauty. I hear on some distant realm the Maker of Everything Dramiel spoke a toast in your honor. Destroyer of People who are not suited to flying the Frigate God. Hear hear! I have a faint, sticky, webby(!) idea now why the Firetail works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Panthe, don't worry. My default Slicer fit has an MWD right where it belongs. But at that time in Amamake I was sure I was about to fight something slower with AB and since I'm no expert flying MWD yet - quite often I over shoot like there was no scramblers - I chose the slower, but still fast enough and very agile AB. Unfortunately I don't recall what exactly went wrong during that fight, but I guess I strayed into web range.

    2. The Firetail: http://myxomatosis.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=10021388 . Another Gistii B gone downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Firetail:
    Only two Cynabals and one Falcon. Could have taken it solo. (sleek reference to a blog)

    Whyyy Amamake? Well okay, it was Monday and you said you'd only not go there on weekends, fair enough. I judged with much haste, I apologize.

    The system has nonetheless become your nemesis, is there a statistic somewhere where you can rank solar systems by number and value of ships lost? That would be entertaining and insightful at the same time.

    We should really go out in AFs and roam Nullsec TEST alliance systems for a bit! I hear they fit Draeks with T1 armor reppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Problem with Amamake I live there :P

    ReplyDelete