Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This Ain't No Holiday

I woke the same as any other day, you know I should have stayed in bed.

Soundgarden, The Day I Tried to Live

I'm reading a lot of eve related blogs and I'm not surprised most more or less focus on the hip parts of space flight. Killing battleships with bare hands. (I highlighted that to attract readers-just wanted you to know.) Fitting. Ridiculous amounts of money. Dating cheap floozies. You know.

Handbrake Warning? Oil Check?
Warp Thingy Underheatification?
But in the wet and deep, deeeep trenches of Eve pilotery there's so much more "fun" to be had: Numerous are the technical problems many frigate pilots fear more than combat - I'm sure everybody has seen those flashing warning lights in the overview when electricity shorts out in mid warp at least once -, the clunking and rattling noises from the cheap plastic interior in those pricey faction cruisers, cramped and narrow hangars, moldy and smelly rental helmets, the bad food at Amarr stations ... I could go on for hours.

I'm aware I may be having just another bad week, but I'm pissed to the gills. Last friday leaving the hangar at Pator Tech School Headquartes after a rather annoying series of meetings I noticed another pilot had crashed into my Rupture and left. He must have hit it while backing up. Am I old fashioned or isn't it common sense to leave a note on the windshield with insurance information? But ok, I can cope with that.

Earlier today I left my cabin at the Siseide Retail Center and went straight to the hangars. Not yet completely awake I sneaked past that bosomy chick behind the rental counter. (Past couple of weeks she was hitting on me like I was some kind of popstar from outer space, but that face ... I think the character creator should not allow stuff like that!) I went to my Rupture, turned the key and ... nothing. Well, almost nothing: Just fffp-fffp-fffp-fffp. No ignition. That sorry excuse for a space ship wouldn't start. Fuck. I yelled at my alt on the com but she told me she didn't leave the lights on or anything …
Ok, I calmed down a little and called the friendly people from the ESVA (Eve Space Vehicle Association). After an hour or so the guy showed up and jump started my ship, telling me to fly like 200AU to recharge the damn battery. I think, ok, that better be it.

It's not like that at all!
Now, after twelve hours of working in the coal mines I just want to fly home, like normal people do. I go to the corporate hangar's top deck and, you guessed it, turning the key that piece of crap walks out on me again. I'm running out of anger management techniques here!

Wasn't piracy supposed to be glamorous? All the brochures and trailers only showed explosions and pirate broads and this is what I get? I have to reconsider my career choice. Seriously. I want to live on one of those damn planets again and sit on trees and let those damn apes take care of business!

3 comments:

  1. lol, if that isn't a proper description of the 'Minmatar Lifestyle' than I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a guy who services the Rupture over in Molden Heath, I should give you his card :)

    Seriously, I've not laughed so much in ages, that picture with the warning lights :D :D

    MB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The engine warning lights on the Rifter: f-ing glorious! Where do you get these ideas man!

    Don't let the guy who dented your Rupture drag you down. You're better than that. Think positive. Think rough him up next time he comes around. Think free Booster coming to Amamake. T minus 7 days, friend. It's time for someone elses wallet to hurt. There is booty to be had! http://goo.gl/TdYLq

    ReplyDelete