Sunday, November 14, 2010

Extermination Postponed, or: The One Hour Siseide Extravaganza

So there I am again, in my Rifter, minding my own business, which is basically scanning people to exterminate them, you know, with EXTREME PREJUDICE. (I must admit that it turns out that the people I engage to exterminate with extreme prejudice are actually out to exterminate me. And they succeed a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I think I might have become a little too cocky after seven kills in a row one day with one Rifter.)

Spending Quality Time in Siseide, Heimatar.
But I digress. Finding Amamake D-scan mostly empty once again I jumped into Siseide en route to Auga. Siseide didn't seem busy except for a Magnate (nom de guerre: Probe) sitting in planetary orbit. Unfortunately the Magnate's behaviour was not ... , um, encouraging. It warped to other planets a few times until I managed to get a lock and land a nice salvo, but before the second shot I got this outrageous error message:

[ 2010.11.08 23:06:03 ] (notify) Target is invulnerable.

Now I don't know if there was some sort of foul play but let me tell you something: I'm not through with CCP.  That's my vow to you. Invulnerable Targets must go! If shooting fleeing targets is wrong I don't wanna be right!

But I digress again. Now what's nicer than attacking an unarmed T1 frigate? Right: Attacking a battlecruiser. More specifically: Attacking a Myrmidon–which is by my standards an ugly punch in the face of every aesthetically aware pilot. I'm not kidding.

I warped into the belt, approached directly and set an orbit of 14 kilometers. Then, surprisingly and all of a sudden I got this error message:
[ 2010.11.08 23:12:40 ] (combat) Hobgoblin II belonging to Shamdex Vox hits you, doing 56.4 damage.
Battlecruiser with drones?
When did that happen?

A lot of them. Turns out the Myrmidon had drones! Needless to say I fled the scene, my display turning red within seconds. Deeply in structure waiting out that annoying GCC I decided not to pursue the extermination of that particular Myrmidon. I scanned and warped between safe spots when I spotted a Rifter but with my damaged ship I was clearly not able to engage. I decided to ignore the GCC, docked, repaired my baby and undocked, pretty eager to get that Rifter. I knew I would have to undock and warp away pretty quickly since the criminal flag was still on. Nevertheless:

[ 2010.11.08 23:29:10 ] (combat) Caldari Sentry Gun II lightly hits you, doing 207.3 damage.
[ 2010.11.08 23:29:10 ] (combat) Caldari Sentry Gun I places an excellent hit on you, inflicting 377.4 damage.


Ah well, with my puny shields gone I engaged the fellow Rifter which was obviously cooperating with other
criminalz in local namely one sexy Jaguar. After a few hits I had stripped the Rifter off it's shields and half it's armor, but the Jaguar warped in closely and I disengaged.

Again, damaged, with fresh GCC I postponed the killing of the two frigates. Scanning and poking around I found myself two very young cruiser pilots in a Celestis and an Osprey. They did not agree on their extermination  either so I had to chase them around a little before I could point and engage the Osprey at Siseide IX. Then suddenly:
[ 2010.11.08 23:50:57 ] (notify) Target is invulnerable.
The Osprey warped out! Ok, switching to the Celestis. After a few blows:
[ 2010.11.08 23:51:25 ] (notify) Target is invulnerable.

Ah, f... it. One minute later I scanned the Jaguar, kited it and ... what can I tell you, the Rifter jumped in and the Myrmidon too. Before they could lock me I tried to disengage once again like a coward but while I was aligning my traversal speed dropped allowing the Jaguar to land the final hit before I managed to warped out.


There goes my Rifter.


I was so close to warping that I didn't expect the explosion–next thing I saw was a medical tube thing at a station!

Good fight to all of you!

6 comments:

  1. I sense Lady Shaniqua's ghost in you, young Padawan!

    Exterminating young criminalz with extreme prejudice, hunt dem down until they go *pop*! :D

    So many invulnerable enemies, did you run out of cap for your disruptor again?

    Also I'm eager to read about the Myrmidon you almost solo'd. Just a tini tiny description of the fight would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >I sense Lady Shaniqua's ghost in you, young Padawan!
    Yes, I'm a huge fan. I can't think of a better way to describe combat and I don't think there is one. I have to try hard not to write about "CRIMINALZ loitering WITH INTENT" all the time.

    > So many invulnerable enemies, did you run out of cap for your disruptor again?
    WCS! And a lot of them. I consider using WCS an exploit!

    > Also I'm eager to read about the Myrmidon you almost solo'd. Just a tini tiny description of the fight would be nice.
    Weird: The almost solo-ed Myrmidon I told you about was piloted by one of the Cruiser guys (Osprey or Celestis) in the post above. So accidentally I'm on both his killmails:
    http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/combat_record.php?type=player&name=FraBaktos

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Stabilizers ... I offer my Devoter in times of unfair enemy advantage! Especially for stabbed indus, how I hatez dem !

    It's been sitting there in my hangar creating a bubble and staring at me blank ever since I fitted it for wasteful 200mio. Loading a focus script, and off it goes flycatching to Lowsec.

    I bought it for WH camping initially, which I intend to bring you along sometime during X-mas holidays, if you should accept my invitation. By then I can fly a Curse/cloaky Pilgrim which will make the wormhole residents' D-Scan look much more friendly and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I tell you I was in a WH last week? Tried to kite some Sleepers with my Rifter. Hilarious! In fact I should fetch my new Magnate and probe another one!

    I would in fact accept. Just let me know what to bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, you reluctantly did not tell me you ever were in wormholes :)

    I always thought that Sleepers cannot be speedtanked, then again I never informed myself much about PvE content. Figured they worked almost like sentry guns, infinite tracking, always hitting.

    The wormholes I was in had:
    - close to zero active players
    - 1 to 2 towers including a few worthless ships within their POS shields
    - Nidhoggur and Naglfar at a Russian POS
    - a bunch of angry Russians
    - people flying Drakes in anomalies (the low cost of the Drake upsets me so much, killing them is not much of a loss - so I have to pod them too)
    - people flying Drakes in anomalies that originally I wanted to solo in my Apocalypse
    - anomalies that I wanted to but didn't bother to solo in my Apocalypse
    - small and medium bubbles placed completely useless in the vicinity of POS shields
    - despite the Drake I have not met a single other player I could gank, after visiting around 7 wormholes - getting something done in there is a lengthy process that requires a lot of patience

    About your ships, what can you fly besides the infamous Rifter and the glorious Harbinger? I was thinking a Ruppy or a Harbi might be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well. The interesting things you find when googling your name.

    Good read :)

    ReplyDelete